Energy Regulatory Office (ERO)
Electricity, Gaseous Fuels, Liquid Fuel, District Heating
Regulatory Authority General Information
- Joined ERRA in 2000 (Founding Member)
- Legal basis
- Energy Law, secondary legislation.
- Is responsible for licensing enterprises in the gas, electricity, district heating and liquid fuels sectors; tariff approval; consumer rights protection; promoting competition; market monitoring; RES and CHP support systems, and energy efficiency.
Independence: The President of ERO is supervised by the Prime Minister but the Prime Minister does not interfere in the decision making process. The President of ERO is obliged to report annually to the Ministry of Climate and Environment on the scope of ERO’s activities and realisation of its tasks and duties.
Appeal process: decisions of the President of ERO are subject to appeal to the District Court in Warsaw – anti-monopoly court (within 2 weeks from the date of receipt of the decision).
- Internal Structure
- The President of ERO is appointed by the Prime Minister for a 5-year term in office. The ERO consists of a head office and 8 branch offices. The Office is managed by President, Vice-President and Director General. There are following organizational units at ERO: Department of Electricity and Heat Markets, Department of Gaseous Fuels Markets, Department of Liquid Fuels Market, Department of Markets Development and Consumer Issues, Department of Renewable Energy, Department of Energy Efficiency and Cogeneration, Department of Legal Issues and Dispute Settlement, Department of Public Communication, Office of the Director General, Position for the Protection of Classified Information and Internal Auditor.
- Working Employees
- Number of Staff: 366 (on 31 December 2020)
- Is financed through the state budget which is approved by the Parliament.
General Country Information
Population: 38.38 million (2019)
GDP / Capita: USD 35,170.2 (World Bank estimates, 2019)
Territory: 312 685 km2 (70. in World rank)
ERRA Committe and Working Group Members
Licensing and Competition Committee Member
Malgorzata WESOLOWSKA - Head of Unit, Department of Markets Development and Consumer Issues
Tariff and Pricing Committee Member
Kamil KUCHARSKI - Chief Expert
Marek DEBSKI - Expert, Department of Electricity and Heat Markets
Customers and Retail Markets Working Group Member
-no designated member at this time -