ERRA Workshop: Balancing Electricity Markets and Ancillary Services
ERRA introduced its first topical educational workshop specifically designed for experts working in electricity markets who want to understand and learn more about a very important function performed by transmission system operators: balancing electricity markets and the involved ancillary services.
This function plays a crucial role in ensuring security of supply and has an important effect on the final cost to consumers. Efficient balancing can also deliver environmental benefits by reducing the need for back-up generation.
Integration of national balancing markets could contribute to enhanced security of supply and to decreasing electricity prices so there is a strong argument for developing cross border balancing markets. Thus, there is a strong need for harmonising national balancing rules and using ancillary services in order to extend efficient competition and to increase efficiency.
Course Faculty Team:
- Anders Plejdrup HOUMOLLER – Workshop Moderator, Houmoller Consulting ApS, Denmark
- Mircea ANTON – Manager of Balancing Market Department, Romanian Power Grid Company – Transelectrica SA, Romania
- Gergő BATTA – MAVIR, Hungary
- Ibrahim ETEM ERTEN – Group Head, Energy Market Regulatory Authority of Turkey
- Leszek KUKULA – Expert, Department of Market Development and Consumer Issues, Energy Regulatory Office of Poland
- Christina TODEM – Head of Unit, Market Management, Austrian Power Grid AG, Austria
- Zsolt TOPA – Advisor, Hungarian Energy and Public Utility Regulatory Authority
The event was attended by 34 participants representing mostly ERRA member regulators and transmission system operators from Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Denmark, Georgia, Hungary, Latvia, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, the Netherlands, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Turkey, UAE and UK.
Courtyard by Marriott Budapest Hotel 4*
Address: 1088, Budapest, József Krt. 5.
Tel.: +36 1 327 51 00 Fax: +36 327 51 53