Electricity & Cogeneration Regulatory Authority (ECRA)
- 7948 King Fahad branch road – Almutamarat Arriyadh 12711-4199, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- +966 11 201 9000
- Joined ERRA in 2008 (became Full Member in 2016)
- Established in 2002
- Legal basis
- Electricity Law promulgated by Royal Decree no. (M/56) on 22 November 2005.
The Authority’s Charter has charged it with a number of specific responsibilities. Article 3 of the Charter lists sixteen specific responsibilities that fall into four major groupings:
- 1. Supply Matters: dealing with license issuance, monitoring of license compliance, development of unified utility accounting procedures, coordination of organized infrastructure, and a services expansion plan.
- 2. Consumer Issues: dealing with tariff assessments and their periodic review, stakeholder protection, investigating and resolving complaints by involved parties, improving sector performance, and in coordination with the Ministry of Water and Electricity, promoting energy conservation measures.
- 3. Technical Issues: developing technical standards of performance for each electrical activity, monitoring compliance with the standards, ensuring adequacy of the industry’s R&D activities, and other relevant technical matters.
- 4. Organizational and Administrative Tasks: defining public interest, development of regulations for infrastructure expansion, encouraging private sector investments, assessing licensing fees and penalties for non-compliance with licenses and/or the Authorities orders, and issuance of periodic reports by the Authority to the Council of Ministers on cost and tariffs of electricity services.
ECRA’s mandate covers the regulation of the electricity and water desalination industry in order to ensure that the services of the industry are adequately provided to the country at the lowest prices consistent with high quality and reliability.
- Internal Structure
- ECRA is supervised by a Board of Directors chaired by the Minister of Water and Electricity, with the Governor of the Authority as deputy chair, six members from senior government officials representing the ministries of Water and Electricity, Finance, Petroleum & Mineral Resources, Commerce & Industry, Economy & Planning, and the Saline Water Conversion Corporation (SWCC); and five members selected on their own merits.
- Working Employees
- Number of Commissioners: 1
- Number of Staff: 130
- Is financed through License fees.
Population: 28 160 273 (2016 est.)
GDP / Capita: $ 19 922 (2016 est.)
Territory: 2 149 690 km2 (13. in World rank)
Information will be uploaded soon.
H.E. Dr. Abdullah M. AL-SHEHRI - The Governor, ERRA Presidium Member
Licensing and Competition Committee Member
Abdulrahman M. AL-MOHIZAI - Director General, Licensing and Legal Affairs
Tariff and Pricing Committee Member
Abdulrahman Saad AL MOZAN - Director General, Economic & Tariff Affairs
Customers and Retail Markets Working Group Member
Saad H. AL SALAMAH - Director, Service Providers Affairs