National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (NEPRA)
Regulatory Authority General Information
- Joined ERRA in 2015 (became Full Member in 2016)
- Legal basis/ mandate
- Established through the promulgation of Regulation of Generation, Transmission and Distribution of Electric Power Act (XL of 1997).
The Authority may, with the approval of the Federal Government, by notification in the official Gazette, make Rules to carry out the purpose of the aforementioned Act.
The Authority may, by notification in the official Gazette, make Regulations, not inconsistent with the provisions of the Act or the Rules, for carrying out of its functions under the Act.
- The Authority is exclusively responsible for regulating the provision of electric power services. The Authority, shall:
– Issue Licenses for generation, transmission and distribution of electric power;
– Determine Tariffs for generation, transmission and distribution of electric power;
– Establish and enforce Standards to ensure quality and safety of operation and supply of electric power to consumers; and
– Approve investment and power acquisition programs of the utility companies.
- • Independence: Autonomous body.
- • Reports to the Prime Minister of Pakistan through Cabinet Division.
- Internal Structure
- The Authority consists of a Chairman appointed by the Federal Government and four Members, namely:
(i) the Member representing the Province of Baluchistan;
(ii) the Member representing the Province of Khyber Pakhtunkhuwa;
(iii) the Member representing the Province of Punjab; and
(iv) the Member representing the Province of Sind.
The Members are appointed by the Federal Government after considering the recommendations of the respective Provincial Governments.
There is a Vice-Chairman of the Authority, appointed from amongst the Members for a period of one year, by rotation.
Authority may, from time to time, employ officers, members of its staff, experts, consultants, advisors and other employees on such terms and conditions as it may deem fit.
- Working Employees
- • Decision-Making Level: 5.
- • Total Number of Employees: 325.
- Fees collected on account of Generation, Transmission and Distribution licenses and tariff petitions.