Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC)
- Plot 1387, Cadestral Zone A00, Central Business District, PMB 136
- +234 09 462 1400
- Joined ERRA in 2010 (became Full Member in 2016)
- Established in 2005
by Electric Power Sector Reform Act, 2005.
- Legal basis
- Electric Power Sector Reform Act 2005.
- Electricity Regulation (issue licenses and permits, establish tariffs, promote competition, establish and approve operating codes to ensure service supply quality, establish appropriate consumer rights and obligations, monitor the operation of the electricity market, protect grid stability, organize activities promoting the conservation of energy and renewable energy initiatives etc.).
Independence: Independent institution
Reports to: President and National Assembly on a quarterly basis and upon request
The Ministry of Power is responsible for policy formulation for the power sector
Appeal process: NERC decisions are appealed to Court on issues of law
- Internal Structure
- Board of 7 Commissioners one of whom is Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. They are appointed for an initial term of four years with an option to renew for another 4 years and no more. They are nominated for appointment by the President but their nomination must be approved by the National Assembly (The Parliament).
- Working Employees
- None. One Ag. Chairman/CEO
- Number of Staff: 167
- $45, 421,800.43 (2011)
Population: 186 053 386 (2016 est.)
GDP / Capita: $ 6 100 (2015 est.)
Territory: 923 768 km2 (32. in World rank)
Information will be uploaded soon.
James MOMOH - Chairman/ CEO
Tariff and Pricing Committee Member
Sanusi GARBA - Vice Chairman & Commissioner, Market Competition and Rates
Sharfuddin MAHMOUD - General Manger, Market Competition and Rates
Licensing and Competition Committee Member
Dafe C. AKPENEYE - Commissioner, Legal, Licensing and Compliance
Olufunke DINNEH - Deputy General Manager
Customers and Retail Markets Working Group Member
Moses ARIGU - Commissioner, Consumer Affairs
Anthony AKAH - Former ERRA Presidium Member