Public Utilities Commission (PUC)
- 45 Unijas Street
- +371 67 097 220
- Natural Gas
- District Heating
- Transport (Railway)
- Joined ERRA in 2000 (Founding Member)
- Established in 2001
- Legal basis
- Law on Regulators of Public Services, Energy Law, Electricity Market Law, Law on Electronic Communications, Postal Law, Railway Law and other legal acts concerning regulated sectors and public administration.
- Is a multi-sector regulator overseeing electricity, gas, heat, electronic communications and post, and railway sectors, heating, water supply and waste deposit. It is responsible for licensing/registration, setting tariffs, protecting consumer interests, promoting competition, resolving disputes and controlling quality.
Independence: has the status of fully autonomous state institution
Reports to the Parliament annually
Appeal process: Administrative Court
- Internal Structure
- The Parliament (Saeima), following the recommendation of the Cabinet of Ministers, appoints 5 Commissioners of the PUC’s Board for the period of 5 years (can be reappointed for the second term). There is no staggered approach stipulated in appointing appointing of Commissioners. The decision-making body of the PUC is its Board. The PUC has structural units corresponding to each regulated sector and support units.
- Working Employees
- Number of Commissioners: 5
- Number of Staff: 132
- Is financed through regulated services’ providers. The duty to be paid to the PUC should not exceed 0,17 % of the net turnover of regulated services.
Population: 1 965 686 (2016 est.)
GDP / Capita: $ 13 665 (2015)
Territory: 64 589 km2 (124. in World rank)
Information will be uploaded soon.
Rolands IRKLIS - Chairman, ERRA Presidium Member
Licensing and Competition Committee Member
Inga BALABKINA - Head of Energy Division of the Legal Department
Tariff and Pricing Committee Member
Viesturs KADIĶIS - Head of Tariff and Infrastructure Division of the Energy Department, Vice-Chairman of the Tariff/ Pricing Committee
Customers and Retail Markets Working Group Member
Ieva FELDMANE - Director of the Legal Department
Elza BERGMANE - Senior Lawyer, Energy Division, Legal Department