Georgian National Energy and Water Supply Regulatory Commission (GNERC)
- 19 Mitskevichi Str.
194 Tbilisi, Georgia
- +995 32 242 0180
- Natural Gas
- Established in 1997
- Legal basis
- Law of Georgia on Electricity and Natural Gas;
- Law of Georgia on National Regulatory Authorities;
- Law of Georgia on Licenses and Permits;
- Law of Georgia on Regulatory fees.
- a) regulate the activities of the licensees, low capacity power plants, importers, exporters, market operator and a supplier, as well as monitor of electricity market;
- b) set licensing rules and conditions for the electricity generation, transmission, dispatch and distribution, natural gas transportation and distribution, as well as for water supply sector; grant licenses, amend and repeal them under the Law of Georgia on the “Licenses and Permits” and law of Georgia on “Electricity and Natural Gas;”
- c) develop and approve the charter of administrative proceedings, the procedural rules for dispute resolutions, the calculation rules and amounts of regulatory fee, the rules of supply and consumption, tariff methodology, tariffs (including marginal tariff), the calculation rules and amounts of normative losses; approve grid code; approve standard conditions presented by Market Operator, dispatch and transmission licensees; approve Unified System of Account for all licensees in energy sector; develop and approve other normative-legal acts in the cases envisaged in Legal act;
- d) set and regulate the tariffs for electricity generation, transmission, dispatch, distribution, pass through, import and export, service of Market Operator; natural gas transportation, distribution, pass through, supply and consumption; drinking water supply, pass through, sewerage; as well as set and regulate guaranteed capacity cost and electricity generation tariff of guaranteed capacity source under Law of Georgia on “Electricity and Natural Gas”, the main directions of state policy in energy sector, as well as normative legal-acts adopted on their basis and established methodology;
- e) set connection fee for a new consumer on electricity transmission or distribution network, natural gas distribution network and water supply systems;
- f) solve disputes among licensees, low capacity power plants, importers, exporters, suppliers and consumers and market operator within its competence;
- g) control license conditions for electricity, natural gas and water supply sectors and carry out appropriate actions in case of violation;
- h) define consumption norms for drinking water
- i) organize and coordinate certification process in energy sector;
- j) allow the licensee to terminate, decrease or increase license service conditions envisaged in the license;
- k) ensure legal basis for stable supply of electricity and natural gas, as well as water supply service to the consumers of all categories;
- l) approve service terms and rules for licensees, law capacity power plants, importers, exporters, suppliers and for Market Operator;
- m) approve the procedures on service record, preparing/sending the report of electricity, natural gas and water supply sectors, as well as payment procedures for electricity, natural gas and water supply service costs;
- n) enhance effectiveness of electricity generation, transmission, dispatch, distribution, import, export and consumption, natural gas import, transportation, distribution, supply and consumption and water supply activity.
Reports to: President, Parliament
Appeal process: Appeal process: through the court.
- Internal Structure
- The Commission shall consist of five members. The President of Georgia submits the candidatures of the Commission members with the approval of Government of Georgia to the Parliament of Georgia, which elects them with the majority vote. An individual may be appointed as a member of the Commission if he or she is a citizen of Georgia, has a university degree, and is qualified by training and experience to discharge the duties prescribed by this Law. A member of the Commission shall be elected for a six-year term. A member of the Commission may be re-appointed for another six-year term. In case of a pre-term termination of a Commission member duties, the Parliament of Georgia elects a new member to serve for the remainder of the unexpired term. Each member of the Commission shall have one vote in the Commission decision-making.
- Working Employees
- Number of Commissioners: 5
- Number of Staff: 108, Public defender service – 12
- Financed through regulatory fees, is regulated by the law
Population: 3 679 000 (2015)
GDP / Capita: $ 3 796 (2015)
Territory: 69 700 km2 (121. in World rank)
Information will be uploaded soon.
Irina MILORAVA - Chair
Licensing and Competition Committee Member
Gocha SHONIA - Commissioner
Nugzar BERIDZE - Director of Electricity Department
Tariff and Pricing Committee Member
Givi SANIKIDZE - Director of Tariff and Economy Analysis Department
Customers and Retail Markets Working Group Member
Malkhaz DZIDZIKASHVILI - Director of Legal Department