Electricity, Natural Gas
Regulatory Authority General Information
- Legal basis/ mandate
- Public Authority, E-Control Act.
- • Electricity and Natural Gas: Market Functioning (define regulatory framework, set up market rules for competition, regulate network tariffs, develop market rules); Monitoring and Supervision (identify and eliminate competition violations, monitor and analyze the development of the market); Security of Supply Measures; Consumer Complaint Handling and Dispute Settlement.
- • Renewables: Monitoring compliance with the rules in force concerning the supply with green electricity and electricity from small hydropower plants.
- • Independence: Fully independent institution.
- • Supervised by the Supervisory Board of E-Control.
- • Reports to the Austrian Parliament.
- • Appeal process: E-Control decisions can be challenged in accordance with national regulations.
- Internal Structure
- E-Control is headed by its Executive Directors who are appointed by the Austrian Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology (BMK). E-Control’s Executive Board is supported by ten departments without further hierarchical substructures.
- Working Employees
- • Decision-Making Level: 2
- • Total Number of Employees: 117
- Fee on network tariffs (the E-Control Supervisory Board approved forecast budget is required to be paid by the high-voltage network operators as well as by the market and distribution area manager).