- Structure of the ERRA Training Activities
- Main Characteristics of ERRA Training Programs
- Custom Trainings
Training Calendar March – July 2019
Professional development in energy regulation requires a working knowledge of regulatory economics, good understanding of policy impacts and the ability to navigate national policy processes. Among others it requires effective agency management of the legal and organizational processes necessary for adequate due process protection in regulatory activities.
As our association evolved and members faced staffing issues (recruitment of qualified staff, staff changes etc.) it became clear that there was a strong need for formal, structured in-house training programs to augment the best practices transfer exercised in ERRA meetings and other activities of the association. The diversity of students on these courses is a reflection of the high demand for relevant education.
The majority of ERRA’s training courses were developed with pilot funding from the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) as a means of providing critical training to regulators in the region and supporting ERRA’s institutional development.
Summary of Training Programs >>>
- Summer School: Introduction to Energy Regulation – Student Testimonial is available!
- Energy Regulation in Emerging Countries
- Market Monitoring Activities of Energy Regulatory Commissions – Student Testimonial is available!
- Price Regulation and Tariffs – Student Testimonial is available!
- Principles of Natural Gas Market Regulation – Student Testimonial is available!
- Principles of Electricity Markets – Student Testimonial is available!
- Renewable Energy Regulation – Student Testimonial is available!
- The System Flexibility Challenge – NEW – Registration is open!
- Gas Transmission Tariff Setting – NEW
- Renewable Energy Auctions – NEW
- Innovation and Regulation
- Energy Capital Investment Programs: Tools for Review and Assessment – Student Testimonial is available!
- Energy Efficiency and Regulation
- Implementation of the European Network Codes and Target Models
- Balancing Electricity Markets and Ancillary Services
For Commissioners Only
Water Utility Regulation
- Introduction to Water Utility Regulation – Student Testimonial is available!
- Fundamentals of Water Utility Regulation – Registration is open!
The majority of ERRA’s course instructors are current or former regulators, creating a strong link between applied knowledge and the theoretical concepts that guide regulation. This characteristic allows ERRA to design training courses that focus equally on practical applications and theoretical methodology, and include the transfer of relevant direct experience. This is a distinct comparative advantage in a market that is populated by academic institutions and training centers that are often focus on the theoretical background and less on the day to day reality of regulatory challenges faced by regulators.
ERRA educates participants through a variety of methods, including group exercises, mock simulations, participant case studies, on-site visits and self-testing; providing them a foundation to adapt regulatory procedures to their own national legal and regulatory frameworks.
Participants receive a vast array of documentation to support the different themes and modules. These materials include a training handbook, powerpoint presentations of all course instructors, list of suggested readings and reference materials. Personalized certificates are awarded to participants who successfully complete the programs.
ERRA also developed the Certified Energy Regulator training certificate to indicate that participants in ERRA courses have achieved a set level of fluency in the regulatory field. For more information please visit >>.
ERRA’s training centre for the in-house training programs is Budapest, Hungary.
The uniqueness of the topics involved in energy regulation requires a range of professionals to teach the core competencies. ERRA has provided on-site custom trainings in the past to educate regulatory staff members in the many aspects of utility regulation.
- Tailor-made training support to the Oman Power and Water Procurement Company on Principles of Tariff Regulation, December 2-4, 2018 // Muscat, Oman
- Training for Cyprus Energy Regulatory Authority (CERA), May 2 – June 21, 2018 // Nicosia, Cyprus
- ERRA Training Course: Introduction to Energy Regulation designed for the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), November 20-24, 2017// Budapest, Hungary
- ERRA Workshop for Staff Members of British Embassies, December 8-9, 2015 // Budapest, Hungary
- 1st Africa Renewable Energy Training Week, October 12-16, 2015 // Arusha, Tanzania
- ERRA-IRENA Renewable Energy Week, January 25-29, 2015 // Abu Dhabi, UAE
- ERRA-MEDREG Joint Training Course: Economic and Technical Aspects of the Deployment of Renewable Energy Sources (RES), March 3-5, 2014 // Budapest, Hungary
- ERRA-NERC Training Course: Introduction to Energy Regulation, February 8-12, 2010 // Abuja, Nigeria